Parishes and Catholic Schools across the U.S. participate in the Catholic Relief Services (CRS) Rice Bowl Lenten program. Through prayer, learning, fasting and giving, parishioners learn solidarity with families and individuals in other countries. During Lent, Parishioners are asked to contribute to the CRS Rice Bowl collection. These funds further the work of CRS internationally, and support of organizations locally for programs that compliment CRS objectives such as feeding the hungry. The first 25% of the total collection is retained by the Diocese for use as grants to such local organizations. The other 75% assists CRS to address causes of global poverty and hunger.
The Bishop appoint a Diocesan Board to allocate the Rice Bowl funds retained for local use. The Board is composed of clergy, religious, and laypeople from around the Diocese, and is chaired by the Diocesan Director for CRS, and is the same Board and Director for the Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD).
Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ,
The Lenten disciplines of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving are not to be taken lightly. By these disciplines, and other works of penance, we accompany and support the catechumens on their way to the Easter sacraments and we cooperate in our own conversion of heart as we prepare to renew our baptismal promises. Click here for full Bishop's Letter
Please place your order your FREE parish materials. Your order will be shipped early January.
You may place your order by:
If you have any questions please contact the office of Social Action.
Click here for Featured 2017 Recipes
Catholic Messenger Article
Breakfast event’s over the past few years have helped to increase awareness of the Rice Bowl campaign. This year the office of Social Action want to try something different. We want to encourage every parish around the diocese to host and plan their own kick off breakfast.
The office of Social Action is willing to assist with the ordering of materials, coming out and walk you through the process on how to host a breakfast. Any question please contact Loxi Hopkins at 563-888-4212
Annually, 75 percent of the funds raised go to Catholic Relief Services to ease hunger worldwide; the remaining 25 percent goes to organizations working to fight hunger within the Diocese of Davenport. Last year the CCHD/CRS board was able to fund 16 local organizations, totaling $22,000.
Thank you for using 2016 CRS Rice Bowl in your parish. The prayers and devotions that your community has offered through this program are bringing new life to our poorest and most vulnerable brothers and sisters in our own communities and around the world.
This year our Diocese raised more than $85,000. The Catholic Messenger Article.
If your parish has not submitted the funds collected Please submit your Rice Bowl
collections promptly to:
Please clearly marked that they are 2016 CRS Rice Bowl contributions.
|Agape Center - Bettendorf Community Foundation||Bettendorf|
|Concerned DeWitt Citizens||DeWitt|
|Henry County Help to Others (H2O)||Mt. Pleasant|
|Information, Referral & Assistance Services||Clinton|
|North Liberty Community Pantry||North Liberty|
|Progressive Baptist Church||Davenport|
|Riverside Community Food Pantry/St. Mary||Riverside|
|Sacred Heart Cathedral||Davenport|
|Sacred Heart Catholic Community, Newton IA||Newton|
|St. James Social Action Committee||Washington|
|St. Thomas More Social Action Commission||Coralville|
|The Diversity Service Center of Iowa||Muscatine|
|The Lords Cupboard of Jefferson County||Fairfield|
|Helping Hands Food Pantry||Knoxville|